Saturday, March 21, 2009

HAPPY VS. THE TRUTH

I don't trust happy people.  There is no truth in happiness.  To happy people, the world is sunny and shiny and everything is pink and things always happen "for a reason".  Blah blah blah.  I relish the moment someone cracks and I get to see their gooey insides; dark and twisty.  It's in those moments that there is real truth.

Let's take an event that happened just this evening.  I was doing my laundry - it was an especially happening Saturday night for me - and into the laundry room walked one of my neighbors.  I live next door to an upwardly mobile gay couple who have been together seemingly forever.  I think they may have been high school sweethearts, which is almost unheard of in the gay community, at least from my experience.  One of them is a very highly-paid attorney, while the other teaches in a local junior high school.  On the outside, they are young (late 20s), happy, handsome and want for nothing.

Meanwhile, back in the laundry room, the attorney stormed in, saw me and for a moment he was silent, but then the flood gates opened.  He started on a rant about how he couldn't understand how he could spend so many years with someone as indecisive as his boyfriend, which he grumbled on about, at length. What struck me most was how visibly rattled he seemed.  I've known these guys for awhile, and while I've spent a majority of my time with the teacher, but this definitely seemed out of character.

In that one moment of raw exasperation, I got a glimpse into the imperfection of this outwardly perfect relationship.  I mean, they're shopping for property in this economy!  They frequently consume $150 bottles of liquor.  They travel extensively.  They even own a $500 vacuum cleaner.  

Even though I know that no relationship is perfect, it was nice to see it with my own eyes.  That was truth.

1 Comments:

Blogger Samosas for One said...

Wasn't it Leonard Cohen who wrote "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home